UseShading, rain protection and ambience
ApplicationsExterior; terraces, rooftops, public spaces, gardens, plazas, parks, restaurants, cultural sites, temporary structures
CharacteristicsTextile architecture, high aesthetic appeal, wide range of systems and membranes, provides shade, protects from rain, in some cases fire retardant, high resistance, create unique atmospheres, innovative, high-tech
The currently finished project from MDT-tex LeShop.ch Drive - center for online food purchases and collection, was designed by the Architects OI, and engineered, produced and installed by MDT-tex. Located in Studen, Switzerland, this new outdoor project has 36 elliptical umbrella constructions with a diameter of 5.1 m and 5.7 m, which are attached at three different heights, overlapping on the mast. The membrane was provided with a PVC material of the latest innovation in order to ensure a long service life.
Integrated Water Drainage
This special construction receives a functional added value by its integrated water drain system which enables to use the umbrella as a drainage which derives the water through the mast in the earth. Below the steel pipe construction, a membrane from PVC-coated polyester fabric is braced. The mast is clamped in a ferro-concrete foundation. The water guidance occurs from the membrane in the low ring and inside-sided through the mast in the construction-sided available drainage system.
During the night, the colours of the elliptical umbrellas produce an interesting effect: the mast disappears almost in the darkness, and the yellow coloured umbrellas appear to be floating like air bubbles which just climb up in the sky. It concerns the same umbrella constructions by three different heights about 36 pieces.
The elliptical umbrellas are only one of the many models MDT-tex offers to their clients. Specializing in textile architecture for over 20 years, the tensile structures provide not only shade in sunny days and rain protection, but create a distinctive atmosphere, with innovative materials and unique proposals of high aesthetic appeal. By adding textile architecture spaces gain new expressiveness. From arrangement of the folds to tensioned surface – from the lightness of translucent textiles to the countless variety of formative structures. Textile architecture opens the door to a dynamic interaction between space and open space.
MDT-tex develops a wide variety of systems and membranes that are freely customizable, fully integrated to the original context, and in some cases- specially in warm countries where shading is necesarry- offering efficient climatic solutions.
The membrane is the centerpiece of Textile Architecture. From opacity, to resistance and fire retardance, the membranes offer a wide range of charasteristics, making the selection very specific to meet up to the clients' needs.
- MDT-TEX 260 POLYESTER – THE FIRE RETARTAND: Polyester fibers are light and tear-proof. With built-in solar protection system: To remain permanently stable and colourfast, they are made resistant against ultraviolet rays. In combinations of basic fiber and coating polyester resists fire and water.
- MDT-TEX 300 ACRYLIC – THE BRILLIANT: Acrylic fibres are already coloured in the spinning process, which makes this membrane colourfast. Furthermore, fibers enclose the colour pigments their inside, making the colours UV resistant and of high durability.
- MDT-TEX 480 – THE RESISTANT: By double side coating it remains colourfast and lightproof also by long long-term applications. Its high surface stability allows a perfect tension without drapery.
- MDT-TEX 680 PVC – THE ENDURING: Ground fabrics are covered with suitable thermoplastic, making it waterproof. It is predominantly used in areas constantly exposed to the weather.
- 720 PTFE – THE CHAMPION: Resistant to high environmental- and industrial influence and has a very low frictional resistance. Nearly no materials exist which stick to it. By its extreme resistance to tearing and non-combustibility, PTFE is the high-end material for complicated demands.