UseInterior and exterior glazings
ApplicationsEntrances, storefronts, security glass, protective windows, enclosures, curtainwalls, interior partition, furniture, balustrades
CharacteristicsIncreased thickness, no greening or distortion of conventional clear glass, blue edge and enhanced clarity, can be laminated in multiple layers and thicknesses
CertificationCradle to Cradle, Material Health Certificate, may be used as credentialing for LEED®
Starphire® Ultra-Clear™ glass by Vitro Architectural Glass can transform heavy glass applications by adding sparkling clarity and color fidelity compared to standard clear glass. Vitro Glass makes Starphire® Ultra-Clear™ glass in a variety of thicknesses, from ¼-inch (6 mm) up to ¾-inch (19 mm). With its signature blue edge, it's an excellent choice for a wide range of extra-heavy glass applications, including:
- Entrances and Storefronts: Starphire® Ultra-Clear™ glass provides maximum brightness for entryways with 7 percent higher visible light transmittance (VLT) than ordinary clear glass (in ½-inch glass thickness).
- Safety and Security Glass: Starphire® Ultra-Clear™ glass safety and security glass provides 16 percent higher visible light transmittance (VLT) than ordinary clear glass in a 13/8-inch laminated glass construction, and it can be fabricated easily to exact specifications.
- Spiderwalls and Skylights: Starphire® Ultra-Clear™ glass provides sparkling clarity and undistorted transmission of color, without the greening and distortion of conventional clear glass, particularly as thickness increases.
- Interior Glass: Starphire®Ultra-Clear™ glass can also be used for shelves, showcases, tabletops, back splashes, doors, side lites, decorative panels, clerestories and partitions
- Balustrades: Vitro glass is a marketing alliance partner with Walker Glass in offering the Walker Textures® line of acid-etched glass and mirrors made with Starphire® Ultra-Clear™ glass. This glass is ideal for use with acid-etched glass products because of its clarity and color fidelity, especially for interior partitions.
- Bath Enclosures: Starphire® Ultra-Clear™ glass is an excellent choice for shower and bathtub enclosures using Clarvista™ glass, a factory-fused, transparent coating that protects new shower glass against dullness caused over time by the corrosive effects of heat and humidity.
|Visible Light Transmittance (VLT) ||Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC) ||Light to Solar Gain (LSG) ||Exterior Reflectance ||Interior Reflectance |
Architects commonly specify Vitro Architectural Glass products to meet LEED® and other green building criteria. Vitro Glass has been a pioneer in oxygen-fueled glass furnace technology, which cuts natural gas consumption by 15 percent compared to conventional air-fired glass furnaces, while reducing carbon emissions by 10 percent and nitrogen oxide emissions by more than 50 percent, operating one-third of the world’s oxygen-fueled glass furnaces.
The company promotes sustainability through post-consumer recycling of its products, by meeting global regulatory statutes and by developing wildlife-friendly products such as the industry’s first “bird-safe” low-emissivity (low-e) glass, and “turtle glass,” which helps turtle hatchlings survive in commercially developed coastal areas.