Zoom image | View original size
The restoration and adaption of a 1905 former army drill hall in Sydney’s Inner West, involved the careful interweaving of the building’s original details and material palette with contemporary additions to create a relaxing home to suit the new owners. Although the original building had been altered substantially and unsympathetically in the 1990s by former owners, key elements remained intact or salvageable so the design approach was twofold: restore and reconstruct the drill hall’s key details; and introduce new architectural elements that responded to the brief, the form of the existing building and the site.  Key design moves involved restoring the front façade, side elevations, slate roof, interior roof form, steel roof trusses, and double-height volume, before carefully stitching in new spaces and opening the building up to the landscaped garden.  View more View full description
Share Share