Zoom image | View original size
Few programs have had the success and impact that the basketball programs have had on the unique culture of the Providence College Friars. As the program has grown and achieved success after success—both on the court and in the classroom—it was clear the College needed new, state-of-the-art spaces to support its student-athletes. The Ruane Friar Development Center (RFDC) at Providence College houses brand new practice, locker room, and office facilities for the College’s basketball programs as well as training and recovery facilities for the school’s wider Division I Athletics program. Beyond Athletics, the RFDC creates a destination on campus that captures the unique spirit of Friartown: “Us. We. Together. Family. Friars.” The challenge was to design an athletic training facility that expresses the unique culture and aspirations of Providence College and its integrated approach to college-level athletics and education. A stated goal of both athletic and academic leadership on campus, the demonstration of “high performance” became a guiding principle early in the project’s planning. Daylight and openness are a key factor in the high-performance design. A two-story all-glass façade at the main entrance to the building admits ample daylight while it figuratively represents student-athletes performing at their best. View more View full description
Share Share