The biennial Monterey Design Conference (MDC 2019) celebrates its 25th gathering of leading global design figures along the Northern California coast, October 25-27, 2019. Organized the American Institute of Architects (AIA) California, this confab differs from most conferences because attendees can engage in casual conversations with presenters in a relaxed, oceanside setting—mingling over meals, at receptions, or along the beach. The weekend event is held at Asilomar Conference Center in Pacific Grove, CA, the wooded retreat that was designed by 2014 AIA Gold Medal winner Julia Morgan, FAIA.
Among the presenters at MDC 2019 are international architects, who rarely speak in the U.S.
• Petra Blaisse, Inside Outside, Amsterdam
• Yvonne Farrell, Grafton Architects, Dublin
• Massimiliano Fuksas, Hon. FAIA, and Doriana Mandrelli Fuksas, Studio Fuksas, Rome
• Alberto Kalach, Taller de Arquitectura X (TAX), Mexico City
• Lyndon Neri and Rossana Hu, Neri&Hu Design and Research Office, Shanghai
North American architects will discuss their multi-faceted work.
• Mark Cavagnero, FAIA, Cavagnero Associates Architects, San Francisco
• Bob Harris, FAIA, Lake|Flato, Austin/San Antonio
• Donlyn Lyndon, FAIA, and Richard Whitaker, Sea Ranch, in conversation with Pierluigi Serraino, AIA
• Brian MacKay-Lyons, Hon. FAIA, MacKay-Lyons Sweetapple Architects, Nova Scotia
Emerging California talents are given the opportunity to shine.
• Ed Ogosta, AIA, Edward Ogosta Architecture, Los Angeles
• Dan Spiegel, AIA, and Megumi Aihara, ASLA, SAW//Spiegel Aihara Workshop, San Francisco
• Chris Warren, AIA, WORD, Los Angeles
• Dan Weber, AIA, ANACAPA, Santa Barbara
Rounding out the busy weekend are special events, including receptions commemorating the 25th occurrence of MDC and the 75th anniversary of AIA California, book signings, AIA Academy for Emerging Professionals mixer, and post-conference tours of modern Monterey homes and the Monterey Bay Aquarium (EHDD, 1984).
Monterey Design Conference 2019 Page 2
Noted journalist, educator, and curator Reed Kroloff—recently named Dean of IIT School of Architecture—will emcee MDC 2019, which is open to architecture and design practitioners, educators, students, and enthusiasts.
The Monterey Design Conference was originated by Richard Saul Wurman, who went on to co-found TED Talks. The first gathering, in 1980, was so informal that speakers wore t-shirts with a number signifying their speaker order. In the 50 years since, MDC has grown into a must-return-to event for architects and designers seeking its unusual mix of inspiration and relaxation. Its speaker list has also provided a glimpse into the inner working of men and women who have won the Pritzker Prize, architecture’s highest global honor, including Shigeru Ban, Hon. FAIA; Frank O. Gehry, FAIA; Rem Koolhaas, Hon. FAIA; Fumihiko Maki, Hon. FAIA; Thom Mayne, FAIA; and Kazuyo Sejima.
Attendees can gain up to 18 Continuing Education points for MDC programs—including Accessibility/HSW credits—by attending main lectures as well as CES offerings. Topics of CE sessions include materials, codes, construction, accessibility, technology, and security, among others.
MDC 19 is organized by AIA California staff, led by executive vice president Nikki Dennis Stephens, Hon. AIA CA, with a volunteer committee comprising Anne Fougeron, FAIA; Andrew Goodwin, AIA; David Hecht, AIA (Chair); Mark Jensen, FAIA; Ben Kasdan, AIA (AIA CA President); Owen Kennerly, AIA; Alice Kimm, FAIA; Karen Lesney, Assoc. AIA; Leanna Libourel, AIA; Jennifer Luce, FAIA; David Meckel, FAIA; Josephine Minutillo; Michael Porter, AIA; and Julie D. Taylor, Hon. AIA.
Registration is open, but spaces are filling up quickly. Go to www.montereydesignconference.org to register.
TitleDesign Within Beach! 2019 Monterey Design Conference
FromOctober 25, 2019 12:43 PM
UntilOctober 27, 2019 12:43 PM
VenueAsilomar Conference Grounds