The AA Visiting School Zurich invites students and practitioners to re-imagine architecture exhibitions, its media, methods, and agents. It draws on the rich academic and cultural landscape of Zurich, fostering exchange with experts from museums and institutions such as Kunsthalle Zurich, the ETH and gta Exhibitions as well as artist-run space Longtang among others.
The workshop “Exhibiting Architecture” unpacks various media, ranging from models, drawings, photography to oral histories, performances, and installations moving beyond an object-focused discourse. Each day of the workshop is devoted to one specific medium and the different curatorial methods deployed. This is explored in depth by the participants in reading sessions and group discussions. Invited agents – curators, theorists, artists and architects – give lectures, engage the participants in conversations, guide them through exhibitions and organize studio visits.
The AA Visiting School Zurich provides a unique learning situation. It gives the chance to collaborate on the curation of an extensive online archive that unfolds multifaceted perspectives on the media, methods, and agents of architecture exhibitions. Interviews, critical commentaries, essays or audio and video recordings will be produced, which are generated by the exchange between the invited agents and participants.
Prominent Features of the workshop/ skills developed:
– You will get to know diverse curatorial methods and approaches to exhibition making.
– You will experiment with the different media and displays strategies crucial for the presentation of architecture.
– You will develop and practice skills crucial to exhibition making: a critical evaluation of research, leading discussions and conversations, conducting interviews, writing proposals and reviews.
– You will meet and discuss with agents from the fields of art and architecture.
– You will be able to discuss and present your own curatorial interests and research to the group and invited experts.
The Zurich Visiting School picks up these issues and unfolds them through a series of lectures, conversations, discussions and walks. It is structured according to a critical analysis of the different media of architecture exhibitions – eg. models, drawings, photography to oral histories, performances, and installations.
TitleAA Visiting School Zurich: Exhibiting Architecture – Media, Methods, Agents
FromAugust 18, 2019 12:00 PM
UntilAugust 25, 2019 06:00 PM
VenueLongtang, a tank to think through contemporary art