Zoom image | View original size
The University of California, Irvine has selected LMN Architects and Hathaway Dinwiddie Construction to design and build a new $46 million classroom and office building project. In the campus’s central greenspace, the new 70,000-square-foot building will promote diversity, group learning, and social interaction.  LMN’s creative approach of unlocking the site and rearranging the program led to a bold design solution that enhances the overall experience for both students and faculty, said UCI Campus Architect Brian Pratt, LEED AP. We are delighted with the results. The design comprises three main masses. An elliptical pavilion is to feature two stories of lecture halls, whose seating arrangements are particularly suited to group work. The pavilion will anchor the entry plazas, with an exterior loggia to meet a pedestrian level while vertical windows wash the interior with an animated glow. A three-story classroom wing is framed by a student mixing hall, bathed in natural light that filters through the exterior sunshade latticework. A series of community spaces within the building capture views of the expansive surrounding landscape. Finally, a bridge with vertical circulation and gathering spaces connects these two structures. View more View full description
Share Share