A few months ago, the Art Museum of Lima (MALI) announced an international call for a competition to design a new contemporary art wing via an underground expansion. After receiving 387 proposals from 56 countries, the jury has selected the architects Burgos & Garrido Arquitectos and LLAMA Urban Design as the winners of the competition, beating out entries from other top architects including Zaha Hadid Architects and Alberto Campo Baeza.
The new addition will include new exhibition halls, a library, classrooms, a cafe/restaurant, storage space, a public square, access to a future subway station and a landscape proposal for the park surrounding the museum. See images of the winning proposal and the two finalists after the break.
Patio & Pavilion
Ginés Garrido I Burgos & Garrido Arquitectos Asociados / Mariana Leguía I LLAMA Urban Design
Lopes Brenna, Moramarco + Ventrella, Filippo Bolognese
Museum in 3 Acts
SMAR Architecture Studio (Dr. Fernando Jerez, Belen Pérez de Juan, Luis Pérez de Juan)
The jury awarded 13 honorable mentions to projects that, in one way or another, were essential during the process of deliberation, whether through their originality or because they helped to shape the discussion that ultimately lead to the winner.
Those thirteen studios are, in no particular order:
- Luis Calvet Mulleras, Samuel Cárdenas and Antonio Rubio
- Heike Matcha and Gunter Barczik
- OB+RA arquitectos (Oscar Borasino, Ruth Alvarado) y LLOSA CORTEGANA arquitectos (Patricia Llosa y Rodolfo Cortegana)
- Zaha Hadid Architects with David Mutal Arquitectos
- Estudio Campo Baeza with La Fábrica (Álvaro Rivadeneira, Alexander Wiegering) y Ghezzi Novak (Arturo and Gustavo Ghezzi)
- PRODUCTORA (Carlos Bedoya, Wonne Ickx, Victor Jaime, Abel Perles)
- Linazasoro & Sánchez Arquitectura, Juan Manuel Gutiérrez Gonzáles, and Luis Martin Piccini Acuña.
- Philippe Rahm architectes
- MDDM Studio, Momo Andrea Destro, Margret Domko
- Buda Mimarlik
- Andrew Kovacs, Israel Ceja, Peter Boldt
- Michael Maltzan Architecture with Arup (engineering)
- Hunerwadel Partnership Basel and Hünerwadel Arquitectos Lima
The jury was comprised of:
- Kristin Feireiss
- Teodoro Fernández
- Guy Nordenson
- Paulo Dam
- Juan Carlos Verme
- Chris Dercon (Asesor)
More information about the competition can be found here.