After many attempts at redesigning a pre preparatory school built originally in the 1960's proved time and again to generate a compromised end product, a fundamental decision was made by the St Johns College Council to demolish and build on the same site. The brief for the project called for a new Pre-Preparatory School building for St John’s College (founded 1898) situated on their Upper Houghton school campus - including 6 new classrooms, an Art/Drama and Therapy Centre, Music Centre, Library, Computer Centre, Hall and Administration Block. One of the most interesting aspects of the design was always going to centre around the “heritage debate”. The Leonard Fleming and Herbert Baker buildings have become synonymous with the school brand and a highlight of the suburb of Upper Houghton. Strong memories and emotions have been forged over the past 118 years in the minds of all those fortunate to pass through its halls and colonnaded courtyards.
View moreView full description