Zoom image | View original size
A collaboration of EDA Architects, Yazdani Studio of Cannon Design, and Arup, the University of Utah's newest project for the Lassonde Entrepreneur Institute - "Lassonde Studios" - has broke ground. Slated as a space to live, work, and create, the building supports the mission to make the Lassonde Institute an international destination for student entrepreneurs, innovators and “makers.” The Studios will open for students in fall of 2016. Mehrdad Yazdani, lead designer for the project, stated, "Everything about this building has been unique and different, even our design process. We started by challenging our assumptions about student housing and exploring the boundaries between where students live and work. The result is an entirely new campus building typology." The 148,000 square foot, five story building includes over 400 student residences, in addition to a 20,000 square foot "garage" space ideal for student events. Moveable furniture will furnish a large open area in order to give students control over their environment and accommodate diverse activities. Functioning as a student union, the "garage" will be the heart of the studios, and include spaces for collaboration, private offices for startups, a cafe, lounge, and technology lab with 3D printers, sewing machines, hand tools, laser cutters and more. View more View full description
Share Share