Eight international teams have been shortlisted to design a 100-meter tall Observation and Broadcast Tower for the historic city of Çanakkale. The competition, now in its second stage, has required each team to develop their schematic designs before submitting them to the jury in February.
As stated by the competition brief, “competitors are strongly recommended to consider the technological requirements of the broadcasting tower and recreational potentials of a public entity with equal emphasis.” Once complete, the forested hilltop site will be transformed into a public destination, offering exhibition spaces, recreational facilities and observation decks, in addition to an “iconic antenna tower.”
The complete shortlist includes:
- Sou Fujimoto Architects
- Snøhetta & Özer/Ürger Architects & Battle Mccarthy
- Ian Ritchie Architects & Arup
- Powerhouse Company & IND [Inter.National.Design]
- OLAF GIPSER & ARUP & Deniz Aslan
- FR-EE/Fernando Romero Enterprise & KOTU+MAPmx Studio & Werner Sobek
A winning proposal will be announced March 2014. Construction is projected to be completed in time for the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Galipoli by 2015.