Zoom image | View original size
The Boa Nova Tea House, one of Siza's earliest commissions, was awarded to him in 1956. His collaborator, Fernando Tavora, had won the competition for the project and passed it onto Alvaro Siza. Its location close to Siza's home town had its significance, especially due to the architect's intimate familiarity with the landscape. This is noticed in his incorporation of the rock formation, the ocean, and the greenery within the project, revealing a vivid understanding of the qualities of the local landscape. Alongside the Leça Swimming Pools, this project represents the foundation of Siza's architecture with a compelling regard for nature. The small building creates a transition from the city to nature, directing urban dwellers to the rocks and ocean while smoothly settling the architecture in the dominant rock formations. The project is around 300 meters from the main road, and access is through an architectural promenade characterized by platforms and stairs. The promenade creates a playful relationship with the view, hiding the shoreline and horizon at points and revealing them at others. One alternates between the massive rocks of the site and paths of smooth white stone when taking this promenade, always being reminded of nature. View more View full description
Share Share