Zoom image | View original size
Today, Cornell University has announced their selection of Thom Mayne and Morphosis to design the first academic building for the CornellNYC Tech campus on Roosevelt Island. Mayor Michael Bloomberg awarded the Roosevelt Island campus project to Cornell mid-December of last year. With plans to achieve net-zero, the campus is striving to become the new modern prototype for learning spaces worldwide. “This project represents an extraordinary opportunity to explore the intersection of three territories: environmental performance, rethinking the academic workspace and the unique urban condition of Roosevelt Island,” Mayne said, as reported by Cornell University. “This nexus offers tremendous opportunities not only for CornellNYC Tech, but also for New York City.” Continue reading for more. Expected to break ground in 2014 and be completed by the start of the 2017 academic year, the landmark building will set the stage for the new CornellNYC Tech campus. Reflecting the mission and spirit of the new campus, Morphosis will strive to create a building that represents the new social nature of learning today and encourage spontaneous interactions between students and professionals of multiple backgrounds, thus fostering creativity and innovation. Additionally, the buildings will incorporate the latest environmental advances and attempt to achieve net-zero energy, featuring geothermal and solar power. View more View full description
Share Share