It is a project within the “School Modernization Program” sponsored by the Parque Escolar, for a school originally designed by architect José António Pedroso in 1956. The three bodies that constitute the school are situated on the hillside in the continuity of the Faculty of Agronomy fields, overlooking the district of Alcântara. The original building, spread across three platforms pragmatically modelled on the hill, is organized around a central patio and has three bodies each with its own functions - teaching, administration, and covered playground; gym and cafeteria; workshops - linked through covered outdoor galleries. These bodies, with very different shapes, were taken by us as if they had been built over time, making a little city. Our project quietly continues this process. For the outdoor areas, of unusually generous dimensions, the project underlines the continuity of the vegetation of the fields through new plantations, in order to emphasize the sense of the site as a public garden. The staircase that we designed, opening an existing cul-de-sac to connect the central patio to the old Patio das Caravelas situated on the top platform.
View moreView full description