Zoom image | View original size
Scottish War Blinded was founded in Edinburgh in 1915 with the object of caring for Scotland’s sailors, soldiers and airmen and women who were blinded in the service of their country. With the organisation now taking in a higher number of veterans of more recent conflicts, the Scottish War Blinded recognized that a new facility was required so that the scope and quality of the services they offer could be improved. Their new 750m2 facility is located on an inspiring site at Linburn, West Lothian and replaces the charity’s 1950’s facility which occupied an adjacent site. The scheme takes inspiration from a hand-carved Chinese celestial dragon memorial sculpture which was housed in the display room of the previous facility. This inspiration manifests itself in the sweeping and twisting geometry of the building’s undulating zinc roof. View more View full description
Share Share