Arteveldehoge School Campus Kantienberg Ghent / Binst Architects

Arteveldehoge School Campus Kantienberg Ghent / Binst Architects - Brick, FacadeArteveldehoge School Campus Kantienberg Ghent / Binst Architects - FacadeArteveldehoge School Campus Kantienberg Ghent / Binst Architects - WindowsArteveldehoge School Campus Kantienberg Ghent / Binst Architects - WindowsArteveldehoge School Campus Kantienberg Ghent / Binst Architects - More Images+ 16

More SpecsLess Specs

Text description provided by the architects. Building schools means building the future, as youngsters will assimilate and pass on their spatial experience of light, air, simplicity and beauty throughout their lives.

Arteveldehoge School Campus Kantienberg Ghent / Binst Architects - Brick, Facade
Courtesy of Crepain Binst Architecture

The designers were honoured to have the opportunity to deliver creative social impulses of this kind. Following several earlier ‘trial runs’ in the centre of Mortsel (merger of three primary schools), central Antwerp (UIA) and Gasthuisberg hospital in Leuven (midwifery), this fourth winning competition design for a school building is the most expressive to date.

Arteveldehoge School Campus Kantienberg Ghent / Binst Architects - Facade
Courtesy of Crepain Binst Architecture

It stands out primarily for its unusual context, solitary infill and specific parameters. Within the outlines of the master plan – parallel to the future linear park and in relation to the arrangement of the volumes – an ascending staircase with central patio follows the town’s natural undulation.

Arteveldehoge School Campus Kantienberg Ghent / Binst Architects - Shelving
Courtesy of Crepain Binst Architecture

This beacon on Kantienberg hill in Ghent functions as a brick sculpture, incorporating the entrance and the media library, and supported to the rear by a tower. Vertically rotating aluminium plates enclose the tower in a discreet packaging. The ‘living’ walls with their constantly changing appearance are oriented towards the city, flirting with the transparency of the tower volume and creating a variety of daytime and night-time atmospheres in the Ghent skyline.

Arteveldehoge School Campus Kantienberg Ghent / Binst Architects - Windows
Courtesy of Crepain Binst Architecture

Project gallery

See allShow less

Project location

Address:Voetweg, Kantienberg, Belgium

Click to open map
Location to be used only as a reference. It could indicate city/country but not exact address.
About this office
Cite: "Arteveldehoge School Campus Kantienberg Ghent / Binst Architects" 12 Nov 2010. ArchDaily. Accessed . <https://www.archdaily.com/88486/arteveldehoge-school-campus-kantienberg-ghent-crepain-binst-architecture> ISSN 0719-8884

Courtesy of Crepain Binst Architecture

Arteveldehoge School Campus Kantienberg Ghent / Crepain Binst Architecture

You've started following your first account!

Did you know?

You'll now receive updates based on what you follow! Personalize your stream and start following your favorite authors, offices and users.