Bayard Taylor Library is situated in a primary school, an historic building designed in 1895 by C.R.J. Snyder.
This library is a sequence of interlocked functions articulated by the undulating high ceiling and stimulating lighting pattern above.
Functions include a class room with modular tables that can be combined in various configurations for meetings and conferences; ergonomic chairs; computer areas; lounge areas and story telling area with low-shelving accessible to the children and perimeter bookshelves.
There is a play between the existing old structure and the new contemporary insert: the poured rubber flooring and the undulating ceiling with lighting are inserted in the old room; while the wood paneling with integrated shelving, reminiscent of the old libraries, is attached to the existing walls.
Materials used are low VOC and environmentally friendly: Poured rubber flooring Wood paneling Gypsum board ceiling Energy efficient fluorescent light fixtures
Furniture is modular and seating is ergonomic.