The big story today is about a new development in London’s financial district dubbed The Walkie Talkie due to its unusual shape.
The combination of its shape (which is curved), its placement, and its height has apparently created a tremendously intense reflection and beam of light that creates extraordinary heat on a nearby block, and one Jaguar owner says his car literally suffered melting damage from having been parked in that spot.
The news was first broken by Jim Waterson at City AM.
Anyway, a photo of the car has been revealed by the BBC, which tweeted out a photo of a clearly warped Jaguar.
— BBC London Newsroom (@BBCLondonNews) September 2, 2013
In a joint statement, developers Land Securities and Canary Wharf said:
“We are aware of concerns regarding the light reflecting from 20 Fenchurch Street and are looking into the matter.
“As a precautionary measure, the City of London has agreed to suspend three parking bays in the area which may be affected while we investigate the situation further.”
Mr Lindsay said the developers had apologised and agreed to sort out the £946 repair costs.
Meanwhile, an Instagram user has found a great shot showing just how white hot the spot on the street seams to get.
This story, by Joe Weisenthal, was originally published on Business Insider. Check out other great content at Business Insider, such as:
- This New Building in London’s Financial District Is Alleged To Be Literally Making Cars Melt
- New ‘Smart Windows’ Let In Light But Keep Out The Heat For Energy Savings
- Here’s The State Of The World Economy
- Here’s What It Looks Like Inside The Temporary City That 68,000 People Built In The Middle Of The Desert
- This Tornado-Proof House Can Disappear Underground