Conducted by RARE directors on behalf of the Architectural Association in Singapore, the ‘Objectify‘ workshop at Singapore Polytechnic’s School of Design will sample starchitecture to suggest and respond to the city’s idea of growth through image forging. Can architectural objects define a city? Singapore’s territorial enclave is punctuated with signature buildings designed by the worldwide architectural stardom. The exaggerated objectification of the architect’s status and designs is embedded in the city’s culture and apparent belief in their value. Taking place August 21-30, the workshop will explore these conditions, sampling icons to extract novel proposals. More information after the break.
If starchitects are brands what is the common grammar – if any – of a city inventing its iconic self on the international scene? Questioning objectification we will focus on the critical continuation of a model where expressions of individualities have value for the planned built fabric. The particular conditions of this utopia will allow a consideration of large-scale planning through local and object-like proposals.
Some of the most prominent features which the participants will be exposed to include:
- Teaching team: Participants engage in an active learning environment where the large tutor to student ratio allows for personalized tutorials and debates.
- Facilities: The Digital Prototyping Lab houses facilities for the fabrication of physical outputs through digital fabrication techniques.
- Computational skills: The tool set includes but is not limited to Rhinoceros, Grasshopper, Adobe Suite, digital fabrication.
- Theoretical understanding: The presentation of design techniques and relevant critical thinking methodologies to the participants through lectures, inductions and the studio-based environment forms one of the major goals.
- A highly-focused collaborative educational model which promotes research-based design and making.
- Lecture series: Taking advantage of its team of AA tutors and alumni, the AA Visiting school SINGAPORE creates a vibrant atmosphere with its intense lecture program conveying the diversity of the schools output.
For more information, and how to apply, please visit here.