Architects: Opus 5 Architectes
Location: Rue Des Pénitents, Louviers, France
Architect In Charge: Bruno Decaris, Agnès Pontremoli, Pierre Tisserand
Area: 2,000 sqm
Photographs: Luc Boegly, Bruno Decaris
The antique convent of the Penitents, in the city center of Louviers -Normandy, is a very exceptional example of “cloister on water”, made of a complex assembly of successive constructions. The monastery was built between 1646 and 1659 for the Franciscan brethren. There used to be a church in the west and two conventual wings surrounding the central building. The cloister was sold in 1789 as a national fortune: the conventual parts were transformed into prisons and the church into a tribunal. In 1827, the church was demolished and the tribunal was transferred in anew part of the edifice. The prison closed in 1934 while the old south wing started falling down. The building, partially amputated, was reused as a music school in 1990. The remains of the cloister above the river ‘L’Epervier’ are formingan ‘Impressionist’ picture combining stone, vegetation and water in a beautiful harmony. This landscape value has been highlighted and interpreted in the rehabilitation project.
The brief was to offer Louviers a new musical school, modern, functional, attractive and representing the town’s cultural policy. The plan was also to highlight the archaeological heritage and its exceptional site in the heart of the city. Finally, the project aimed to display a new image of the place and to shed its prison characteristics. The project of the New Musical School of Louviers in the convent of the Penitents – 24 classrooms, a score library and two big orchestra rooms- was raising a certain problematic in term of rehabilitation because of a heavy program implicating substantial interventions: the contemporary extensions havebecome more important than the existing building. These were conceived in a very tight plot which led the architects to fill all free spaces, removing the “breathings” and raising these extensions on top of existing walls. The result is a compact project where the new parts dominate the ancient elements; however, the historical construction is still governing. This is an ‘intimate’program within each task requires isolation and concentration and will adapt to the compact and intimatecharacter of the project.
The second extension,replacing the missing parts of the south wing, exposes its front to the water, towards the cloister and the city. Its incredible position represents the key of the project. It hosts the major element of the program: the big orchestra hall. It represents the emblem of the musical school andcomposes the landscape with natural elements.
This façade fits in asimple rectangular glass boxwith chrome stripes reflecting the surrounding environment and fading in the sky. It appears as an echo to music andas a poetic image of the sound. It has two characteristics – sweetness and creativity during the day, warm and glowing at night. This room, by its transparency and its lightness, stands out of its strict and severe environment. It is a showcase exhibiting the building’s creative life.
The North façade is made of laminated glazed panels within the inside layer has been coated with mirror finish (titanium, siliconitride, chrome et siliconitride) A ‘non-crossing’ attachment system holds the glass and leaves the fixing points invisible from outside. The whole set is maintained on mirror polished stainless steel wales of 10 mm sickness and 25 cm depth. The wales are suspended to a mechanically welded steel beam of 450×900 mm used as a duct blower for the orchestra room. Concrete panels
The frontier façades are made ofprefabricated concrete panels of 8 cm thickness/ 180 cm width and of variable heights. Theyare cut out to followthe surface of the ancient masonry. These panels are reinforced and attached onthe extensions’ metal structure.