Student Salon The LSE London School of Economics / Feix & Merlin Architects

Student Salon The LSE London School of Economics / Feix & Merlin Architects - WindowsStudent Salon The LSE London School of Economics / Feix & Merlin Architects - WindowsStudent Salon The LSE London School of Economics / Feix & Merlin Architects - WindowsStudent Salon The LSE London School of Economics / Feix & Merlin Architects - Windows, Countertop, Table, Kitchen, BeamStudent Salon The LSE London School of Economics / Feix & Merlin Architects - More Images+ 9

Text description provided by the architects. In early 2011, Feix & Merlin Architects were invited by the LSE to re-imagine their Student Salon, a ground floor shop front type space in one of the campus buildings where students spend their free time between lectures or come to just meet and hang out. The project was on a tight budget and timeline but is now complete, just in time for Fresher's Week.

Student Salon The LSE London School of Economics / Feix & Merlin Architects - Windows
© Andy Matthews

The design incorporates new faceted timber wall lining with coloured recesses for custom made benches and desks as well as ornately framed shelves, power+data points, alarm panels and signage. In this way all the required accessories become a celebrated piece of the design: the phone, the alarm sounder and fire extinguishers all sit in their own little ornately framed recesses within the new wall.

Student Salon The LSE London School of Economics / Feix & Merlin Architects - Windows, Countertop, Table, Kitchen, Beam
© Andy Matthews

Angled mirrored panels on the walls and ceiling create a slightly surreal perspective as you walk in. A central desk has been custom made with pullout seating for all that hot-desking students do nowadays and a bench at the rear is the perfect place for a little bit of inter-disciplinary fraternisation.

plans

Project gallery

See allShow less

Project location

Address:Holborn, London Borough of Camden, London WC1V, UK

Click to open map
Location to be used only as a reference. It could indicate city/country but not exact address.
About this office
Cite: "Student Salon The LSE London School of Economics / Feix & Merlin Architects" 09 Jan 2012. ArchDaily. Accessed . <https://www.archdaily.com/198066/student-salon-the-lse-london-school-of-economics-feix-merlin-architects> ISSN 0719-8884

© Andy Matthews

伦敦政治经济学院学生沙龙 / Feix & Merlin Architects

You've started following your first account!

Did you know?

You'll now receive updates based on what you follow! Personalize your stream and start following your favorite authors, offices and users.