N Seattle Community College OCEE / Schacht Aslani Architects

N Seattle Community College OCEE / Schacht Aslani Architects - Table, Chair, BeamN Seattle Community College OCEE / Schacht Aslani Architects - ColumnN Seattle Community College OCEE / Schacht Aslani Architects - Windows, FacadeN Seattle Community College OCEE / Schacht Aslani Architects - FacadeN Seattle Community College OCEE / Schacht Aslani Architects - More Images+ 16

Text description provided by the architects. The Opportunity Center for Employment and Education (OCEE) is a breakthrough project that brings employment and social services agencies together in a central location on a community college campus. This one-stop worksource center provides improved service delivery in the heart of Seattle’s north end. The purpose of the facility is to welcome people, giving visitors and users new to campus a clear sense of access. The building is programmatically open, airy and easy to find on the campus. Simple, clear signage facilitates wayfinding, helping users to navigate through the building.

Floor Plan

The project is an expansion and renovation to the south end of an existing 1970s post-tensioned concrete building. The project’s lightweight steel frame “floats” over the older, heavier concrete structures, tying the buildings together both structurally and visually. The orientation of the building maximizes its exposure to north and south light, providing significant opportunities for daylighting interior spaces.

N Seattle Community College OCEE / Schacht Aslani Architects - Facade, Column, Windows
© Doug Scott

The existing campus is heavy, dense, inwardly-focused and lacking in color. In contrast, the materials and color palette on both the interior and exterior of the OCEE set up a clear juxtaposition with the gray concrete of the existing campus. The building’s green roof has transformed a formerly drab, expansive concrete plaza in the center of campus into a more inviting outdoor gathering space. The multi-level atrium stitches together old and new and provides an important amenity for the campus community: one of the only enclosed circulation and gathering spaces on campus.

Section

Project gallery

See allShow less

Project location

Address:Seattle, WA, USA

Click to open map
Location to be used only as a reference. It could indicate city/country but not exact address.
About this office
Cite: "N Seattle Community College OCEE / Schacht Aslani Architects" 29 Nov 2011. ArchDaily. Accessed . <https://www.archdaily.com/186698/n-seattle-community-college-ocee-schacht-aslani-architects> ISSN 0719-8884

You've started following your first account!

Did you know?

You'll now receive updates based on what you follow! Personalize your stream and start following your favorite authors, offices and users.