O-STRIP Pavilion / Tongji University Team

O-STRIP Pavilion / Tongji University Team - Image 2 of 13O-STRIP Pavilion / Tongji University Team - Image 3 of 13O-STRIP Pavilion / Tongji University Team - Facade, WindowsO-STRIP Pavilion / Tongji University Team - Wood, WindowsO-STRIP Pavilion / Tongji University Team - More Images+ 8

Yangpu, China

Text description provided by the architects. O-STRIP Pavilion is one of the projects in Tongji University’s Fabrication workshop that aims to bring back the liveliness of the place. The site is located at a sinking space of the teaching building, which connected with an indoor exhibition hall. In non- exhibition time, there is few people using this space, and the space itself becomes negative. How to energize this place? The key is the strong representational power of the new structure, which can attract passers-by. Computational technology made complex-structure clear and speed up fabrication process. At the same time, the pavilion will be available for all kinds of campus activities. More images and architects' description after the break.

O-STRIP Pavilion / Tongji University Team - Image 2 of 13
Courtesy of Tongji University Team

This project uses parametric design technology. As the constrained fabrication agenda and limited budget, we focus more on the possibility of materials and fabrication techniques. The final structure consists of 484 unique pieces, which, once gathered, created a 3D curved loop. This unusual form incites curiosity of passer-bys, moreover, it accepts different activities and events. Thanks to the parametric design techniques, the fabrication process has been well controlled, which is the exact geometry generation to piece labeling, assembly logic and actual fabrication.

O-STRIP Pavilion / Tongji University Team - Image 3 of 13
Courtesy of Tongji University Team

O-STRIP Pavilion is a powerful campus attractor. It not only attracts architecture students and professors, but also the uninitiated, who bring a lot of informal activities here, thus proving to be more than an unimportant temporary shelter. Furthermore, it successfully provides a flexible and comfortable space for variable events such as tea party, dating, photography, etc.

O-STRIP Pavilion / Tongji University Team - Image 8 of 13
Courtesy of Tongji University Team

Project gallery

See allShow less

Project location

Address:Tongji University, Yangpu, China, 200092

Click to open map
Location to be used only as a reference. It could indicate city/country but not exact address.
About this office
Cite: "O-STRIP Pavilion / Tongji University Team" 06 Oct 2011. ArchDaily. Accessed . <https://www.archdaily.com/174127/o-strip-pavilion-tongji-university-team> ISSN 0719-8884

You've started following your first account!

Did you know?

You'll now receive updates based on what you follow! Personalize your stream and start following your favorite authors, offices and users.