Gensler, architects of SanFrancisco International Airport’s Terminal2(SFO T2) and Virgin America, the terminal’s anchor tenant, announce the release of A Day in the Life of SFO T2, a video by filmmakers Spirit of Space. A Day in the Life of SFO T2 is a key element in Virgin America’s fall promotion “VX Deals on the Fly,” launching today via Loopt, the geo-social network. The promotion will offer travelers mobile check-in rewards at various locations throughout SFO T2. More information after the break.
Spirit of Space, the self-described “Architecture Paparazzi,” is a collaborative of filmmakers who make short films about the built environment. Adam Goss, co-founder of Spirit of Space, explains: “With film, every space can tell a million stories. We determine the key elements from the architect’s point of view, and share the design story in a way that everyone understands.” Spirit of Space co- founder Red Mike continues: “There’s so much specialization in architecture today, and digital media is a part of it. It is part of the design output, and it is part of the design process.”
The idea behind A Day in the Life of SFO T2 is to capture the experience of SFO’s T2 from the passenger’s perspective, so that people can understand how Terminal 2’s innovative design is different from most airports. T2 elevates the travel experience by offering the best in design, technology, food and sustainable practices. The 640,000-square foot terminal welcomed its first flight guests in April 2011, and aims to become the first LEED Gold-certified airport terminal.
“Seeing the film prepares people to understand what the terminal is like when you’re there. It’s a unique way of storytelling,” says Terence Young, a Gensler Design Director. “It really establishes our point of view about the space.”
Now through December 2011, Loopt users can check-in pre-flight or post-flight at T2, watch a new visually stunning short film about T2’s unique design and automatically score a “VX Deal on the Fly,” with discounts and offers from T2’s upscale vendors delivered directly to their iPhone. Travelers can then flash their reward via their mobile screen at select vendors to claims deals like a free dessert at Cat Cora, free product samples at Kiehl’s and sweet discounts at Natalie’s Candy Jar. In addition, travelers can score a variety of Virgin America flight discounts as well as other rewards that can be used for future trips. The Loopt app is available at the Apple App Store or Android Market.
The film continues SFO T2’s legacy of offering groundbreaking traveler amenities made possible through emerging technologies. At SFO T2, passengers have access to unusual airport features.
SFO T2 Traveler Amenities Include
• SFO T2 has a ground breaking new Recompose area, where passengers can rest and regroup after passing through security. Rather than offering a few folding chairs and tables typical at many airports, Recompose offers well-designed upholstered seating that’s convenient and comfortable for passengers. The ‘fresh’ feeling passengers experience in Recompose is largely a factor of the abundant natural daylight and high-quality air made possible by sustainable technologies.
• Children’s play areas feature interactive artwork by noted artists, and offer kids a place to romp before boarding long flights, and are located near cafes enabling parents to grab a snack while watching their children play.
• Eco-conscious travelers can refill reusable water bottles at the center of the concourse at cleverly designed Hydration Stations.
• No more outlet hunting! The terminal is technology friendly with gate lounges featuring a variety of places to sit, work or relax, all while plugged in. Ample electrical outlets are located throughout the terminal and free WiFi is accessible throughout.
• Ready to explore? Travelers can take a self-guided audio tour of T2’s newly commissioned artworks by downloading an iPhone app, courtesy of the San Francisco Arts Commission.