High School Sport and Leisure Building / Major Architekci

High School Sport and Leisure Building / Major Architekci - Windows, FacadeHigh School Sport and Leisure Building / Major Architekci - Facade, Glass, WindowsHigh School Sport and Leisure Building / Major Architekci - Windows, BeamHigh School Sport and Leisure Building / Major Architekci - Image 5 of 20High School Sport and Leisure Building / Major Architekci - More Images+ 15

Wroclaw, Poland

Text description provided by the architects. Located in the center of Wrocław, sport and leisure building designed by Major architekci, has been made for the nationwide competition and was awarded first prize. Main problem of the competition was to create a connection between two different schools built in the end of 19th century. High standard and multifunctionallity were first priority of competition for new building.

High School Sport and Leisure Building / Major Architekci - Column
© Daniel Rumiancew

Sport and leisure function of designed building, combined with two large lobbies between schools, affects chaotic form of whole complex. We came up with the idea of perforated wall. With this screen, we have completed the frontage of buildings located along Nowa Street.

Section

The screen was made with perforated Corten steel. During patinate process we're able to observe how the facade changes and becoming more elegant and coluorful day after day. Red color of the facade matches with old, brick-made, 19th century school and with the park area in front of the complex.

High School Sport and Leisure Building / Major Architekci - Windows
© Daniel Rumiancew

Perforated screen allows the optimal insolation of the glass facade and works as a fence for street ball field located on the roof. More than that, it works as a curtain and keep the gym out of the passers-by direct sight.

High School Sport and Leisure Building / Major Architekci - Fence, Facade
© Daniel Rumiancew

Interior design is minimal with a bit of industrial atmosphere. Sober interiors give us a perfect background for sport events, colorful kids activity and it doesn't compete with the old, existing school building. The only colorful mark is vivid orange corridor connecting sports hall with changing rooms and other facilities.

High School Sport and Leisure Building / Major Architekci - Image 7 of 20
© Daniel Rumiancew

Project gallery

See allShow less

Project location

Address:Easy. Szkoła języków obcych, Wrocław, Poland

Click to open map
Location to be used only as a reference. It could indicate city/country but not exact address.
About this office
Cite: "High School Sport and Leisure Building / Major Architekci" 23 Sep 2011. ArchDaily. Accessed . <https://www.archdaily.com/170904/high-school-sport-and-leisure-building-major-architekci> ISSN 0719-8884

You've started following your first account!

Did you know?

You'll now receive updates based on what you follow! Personalize your stream and start following your favorite authors, offices and users.